JCHS Offers Free ACT Math Prep Sessions

Maliquka Spencer, Staff Writer

Nearly 1,666,017 were totaled, that took the ACT last year.  The ACT is a college entrance exam used by many state colleges and universities that would be used to decide your admission. The ACT exam is nearly four hours comprised of 215 multiple choice questions that test users in the subjects of: English, Math, Reading, Science as well as an optional writing portion.  The ACT is scored on a scale of 1 to 36, overall at the end of the test, a score from each test category are put to an average in order to generate a composite score. At the national average, most people who take the test score a 21.

Junction City High School Teacher, Deb Abernathy, has begun offering free math ACT prep sessions every Thursday during seminar. The sessions will cover all the portions of the math section of the exam. Review includes: basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Each session with Mrs. Abernathy will provide students with practice problems directly from the ACT practice test booklet, as well as a smaller class room setting that would give students ample time to ask questions.

Jr. and first time exam taker, Quinlan Roth has participated in the in the class sessions, hoping to generate a high enough test score, so that he will not have retake the exam multiple times. In regards to the math section, Roth says “I just need the extra review for math, I’m worried about it because it is probably my main subject.”

College entrance exams provide the opportunity for future higher education students with potential scholarships if scores are high enough. Higher scores can be responsible for students receiving renewable scholarships at most colleges. It is helpful to partake in ACT prep courses in order for students to have an hopeful and successful life in their higher education learning, relieving the financial burden that comes with college