Junction City Highschool Hosts Car Show for the Community

Junction City’s CTE classes come together to hold a car show with various activities for the community to participate in.

Daniella Robles, Editor

Junction City’s Career Technical Education classes hosted a car show for the community on Saturday, April 1, 2023. There was a turnout of over 120 vehicles, along with some student participation. Many car show enthusiasts came to participate in the competition, as there were various awards given out. Some of the awards included the best vehicle of the show, best of the show-student owned, top three motorcycles, a principal’s choice and student choice.  

The event encouraged the participation of students, as they were given the opportunity to bring their vehicles to compete and vote on the cars brought in from community members. The winners of the Top Two Student Owned Cars were Deshawn McClelland with a 2015 Scion TC and Brady Cooman with his 1995 Jeep Cherokee. Students voted on a 1980 Chevy S-10, owned by G. Heller as the best vehicle brought to the car show.  

Junction City’s Engineering class also had an opportunity to showcase their hard work at the car show. The students designed and built CO2 dragster toy cars, which they raced during the event. Engineering teacher Glennrey Villamor explained that his students did this “to test their ideas about car design, especially relating to the car show.” Villamor believes his students work to be a success.  

The car show was a group effort by the entire CTE department. The early childhood classes had face painting. FFA and animal science held a silent auction. Health gave away salsa and jelly jars. The culinary classes sold food through the concession stand. Graphic design classes designed the posters and award logos. The computer science courses created the website, and the video production and journalism classes did media coverage by filming interviews and shooting photography of the car show.  

Automotive teacher Rick Kinion had begun planning this event since last fall, in hopes of raising money for his class’s CTSO. The Career and Technical Student Organization of Junction City High School has been raising money since last semester. They have done so by holding various fundraisers including an oil change a tire rotation deal for the community to bring their cars in. Kinion believes the car show was a success, with a great turn out from the community.