MENU

Staff Farewell: Breah Turner Says Goodbye

Staff+member+Breah+Turner+reflects+on+her+years+in+Junction+City+as+she+prepares+to+move.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Staff member Breah Turner reflects on her years in Junction City as she prepares to move.

Staff File Photo

Staff File Photo

Staff File Photo

Breah Turner, Staff Writer

After living in Kansas for three years, I’m finally leaving. Even though I’m only moving next door to an equally underwhelming state, I’m excited to have a fresh start in Missouri.

I moved from Louisiana to Kansas halfway through 8th grade and began at Fort Riley Middle School. I remember how much dryer and plain it was in comparison to Louisiana. The bipolar weather of Kansas made me appreciate the consistency of Louisiana’s weather; although humid and sticky. I was shocked at how many days weren’t canceled because of snow, whereas in Louisiana, it was a given that school was canceled if the temperature reached freezing or below.

My first few months were isolating and new. Eventually, I made friends that I’d keep throughout high school, even if we didn’t remain close. Freshman year at JCHS was surprisingly easy and gave me false assumptions about how the rest of high school would flow.

During freshman year, I made the best grades I have had so far. I took a drama class, which changed my confidence and let my personality grow. After accepting I couldn’t drop the class on the first day just because I was scared, the class taught me how to burst out of my bubble and not to worry about what other people think. The teacher of that class and the people in it showed me my love for plays and helped me control my struggle with public speaking. Along with the communications class, it taught me that everyone is just as scared as you are. Even when you’re so nervous to give a speech that you’re shaking and feel like you’re going to throw up the second you begin, everyone else is already too focused on their own nervousness to even pay attention to your mistakes.

The next two years of high school at JCHS taught me that high school is not as easy as it seems in cliche teen movies, and nothing can prepare you for the amount of stress and tears throughout the next few years. Although freshman year was a breeze, sophomore and junior year showed me how much I was going to struggle with finding a purpose and bringing myself into society. Even though the days where I’d cry for 4 hours and struggle to keep my GPA sparkly, I still made it without giving up. The diversity of JCHS and all the different personalities and opportunities melted into this one school gave me a chance to grasp onto my skills and understand my passions.

Through the last few years, I’ve watched myself and everyone around me grow. We started out so young and oblivious, but are finally getting a taste of reality. It’s been both painful and humbling to mature and grow as family at JCHS. Even though I’m leaving the place where I began my journey through high school, I’m excited to end the rest of my experience at a new place. A fresh start with new faces and different people to clash with gives me hope that if I can bounce around through one of the most important times in my life, I can make it as a successful adult someday soon.

About the Writer
Breah Turner, Staff writer

Breah is a junior and this is her second year of being on staff. She likes to read and watch horror movies, or true-crime TV. In her free time, she naps...