Headphones in Class

Does music affect the way a student learns?

Sarah Taylor, Staff Writer

It is not uncommon for a student to ask to listen to music in class, neither is it unusual for a teacher to allow it. However, does the music act as a distraction? Many teaches don’t allow the devices to be used in class because they find it to be a hindrance to learning.

Headphones reduce excess talking in class, allowing the students to focus on their work, rather than on each other. Music lifts moods, making students more adamant to learn, and gives them more energy so they can go farther. It gives learners a more active creative process, and even inspires them as they work. In fact, music rids people of stress and relaxes the mind. The Mozart Effect states that enjoyable music allows people to memorize what they read easier.

However, music with lyrics can be just as distracting as a noisy classroom. Listening to music can affect the way a student picks up information. Students might be encouraged to listen to the words rather than focus on their readings. Headphones also change the pace at which students work. As the speed of the music increases, so will the speed of the scholar’s typing, writing, or reading. The learner will be persuaded by the speed to hurry or slow down, working at a pace that isn’t their own.

Different studies show listening to classical music while studying helps students to absorb the information they are reading about. However, it is very uncommon for a student to be listening to classical music willingly. Even so, if a student wishes to listen to music, they should have the choice to do so. Every learner is different, and some people need certain things to help them work. Not only will a student listen to music when they do their work at home, but they have advisory to finish anything they weren’t able to complete. Banning headphones won’t increase grades, nor will it improve behavior.