JCHS Choir Students Take On KMEA

Jordan+Biggs+is+a+third+time+All-State+Choir+participant+

Jordan Biggs is a third time All-State Choir participant

Samantha Stunkel, Staff Writer

Last month on February 25, five lucky Junction City High School students got to experience one of the best musical weekends they’d ever had. From unique rehearsals, making new friends, to using bowls of water for a piece of music, KMEA turned out to be a weekend they would never forget.

All-State KMEA is an honor choir made up of students across the state. Students compete to be in the honor choir through blind auditions on very difficult literature. Each student learns 3 pieces on their own voice part, and then receives scores from three different judges based on his or her performance.

The following JCHS choir students participated:

Jordan Biggs, Bass Nate Hancock, Tenor Dustin Jones, Baritone Bella Omann, Alto AnnaMarie Sosa, Alto

“I was so nervous, because last year I made it as an alternate,” Bella Omann, Alto, said. “If no one dropped out I wouldn’t have gone, so I was really nervous auditioning this year”.

One student in particular actually got the chance of receiving a medal at All-State. Jordan Biggs, Bass, had been lucky enough to attend KMEA all three years possible. Being eligible every year is a huge thing for these students, so directors wanted to reward them for their hard work and dedication.

“It was a big honor,” said Biggs. “It’s really difficult for students to make it all three years”.

The singers spent an entire weekend rehearsing and working with a prominent director from a high-profile university program or professional choir, and then performed at the end of the weekend.

“The director was so good” said AnnaMarie Sosa, Alto “It was a one of a kind experience, it’s something I hope everyone can eventually do”.