A Letter that Defends the Teaching and Instruction of Diversity at Junction City High School

Mr. Patrick Battle, Letter To The Editor

Dear Students, Staff, Administrators and Community Patrons:

As a long time teacher of the social sciences, I have always championed freedom of speech and expression. In my professional capacity, I have always encouraged our students to write and speak their minds with courage. It is important for our entire educational community to allow a free flow of dialogue and constructive criticism from both instructor to student and student to instructor. Our district will only grow into a true learning community if such dialogue is encouraged, consistent and ever present. Based upon these premises, it must be equally acknowledged that free speech that is beneficial should also be accurate and responsible. After reading the February 12th editorial entitled, “JCHS Should Do More to Acknowledge Black History Month,” I am compelled to respond in defense of the curriculum and instruction of the Social Science Department at Junction City High School. While I applaud the author’s efforts in the editorial to address the topic of multi-cultural education, a topic that must be continually examined twelve months of the year, I conclude that the comments made in the editorial consisted of a series of erroneous statements and blanket allegations void of true evidence. Most importantly, the author’s commentary only re-enforced the same stereotypes that teachers at USD 475 seek to disintegrate throughout the entire school year.

In the opening of the editorial, the author states that some see black history month as a “myth.” I can assure the entire community that not one single social studies instructor sees any faction of Black, Asian, Native American, Latino or any other minority history as a myth. We teach lessons that not only acknowledge their accomplishments but we tell their stories, which are interwoven into every unit of study. While there is certainly some room for debate as to the nature and degree of balance in teaching these lessons, to claim that “teachers are doing American History a disservice by skimming or not putting Black History on a pedestal” is a claim without any evidentiary merit. To such an end, it is not the job of the history instructor to place any one group on a “pedestal” but to provide the student with as much historical evidence as possible and allow the student to draw his or her own conclusions. I can further assure the community that whenever we as teachers have identified the conditions of slavery, we have told the story of Hiram Revels. Whenever we have studied the concepts of segregation, we have told the story of W.E.B. Dubois. For every example of discrimination, we have counterbalanced such examples with the accomplishments made by those who experienced the Harlem Renaissance. I do agree with the author that Black History, or any other history, deserves more that month. As a teacher, the author has reminded me that I must continually be diligent in my balance of topics in history as I prepare my lessons. Consequently, it is also the responsibility of the students to seize their own education and seek greater clarification on selected topics if they are dissatisfied with the depth.

On a personal note, I was most saddened to see the author issue the vague, blanket allegation that “We are being taught by White teachers, with White values about White American History.” Such an allegation is utterly pretentious. The author is making assumptions about the culture and story of each teacher in the department in ways he could not possibly know. He knows not of our story. He knows nothing of our accomplishments or our struggles. As one who freely chose to come to USD 475 to teach, I find such a comment disheartening.

In 2011, I came to Junction City because I realized in my interview that at USD 475, we have the blessing to teach the world’s children. I wanted to immerse myself and my school-aged children in the wonderful diversity that USD 475 offers. I wanted, and still want, my two kids to be in a classroom and an environment with children who represent all races, religions and ethnic backgrounds. I want my children, when they leave my house for good, to proudly proclaim the words of Itabari Njeri, “on this earth, there is only one race, the human race.” I, along with my colleagues in the Social Science department, have committed ourselves to teach every single day with that thought in mind.

Sincerely,

Mr. Patrick Battle

Social Science Teacher

Junction City High School