ACT to be held on March 1 for all juniors

Katrina Muller, Staff Writer

On March 1st, 2022 JCHS juniors will be taking the free state offered ACT. The ACT is a standardized test that is used by many 4-year colleges in the country to determine a student’s eligibility for enrollment. The score is determined on a scale of 0 to 36, with 36 being the best possible score and a 20 being the average across the country. The ACT consists of 4 sections, English, Reading, Math, and Science. Students may also pay an additional fee to take the essay portion. However, due to COVID-19 many schools no longer require the essay portion for admissions.

Within Junction City High School students have many options on how to prepare for the test. Students may participate in an ACT prep course as an elective to better prepare and they may also attend tutoring to help bring up their potential scores.

“My AP Lang teacher went over some vocab words with us,” said junior Saffron Gonzalaz. “ I am also looking over some helpful videos to better prepare,” she added.

What was most shocking was how many students weren’t studying at all.

“I’ve already taken my ACT this year so I’m not worried about this one,” said junior Isaiah Nicholson. “Had I known we would be taking the test for free at the school, I would have waited to take it. This time I’m just going to watch a bunch of crash course videos to better prepare for the test,” Nicholson added.