Winter Sports Recap

Junior+Brooke+Swango+works+to+rotate+her+opponent+to+her+back+for+the+pin.+Swango+was+one+of+five+wrestling+to+compete+at+state.+Although+she+didnt+come+home+with+a+placing%2C+Swango+says+she+enjoyed+the+experience.+

Junior Brooke Swango works to rotate her opponent to her back for the pin. Swango was one of five wrestling to compete at state. Although she didn’t come home with a placing, Swango says she enjoyed the experience.

Nathaniel Rumbaugh, Staff Writer

Before the spring season can officially begin, here is how the winter sports completed their seasons. Boys basketball fell during sub state to the Firebirds of Lawrence Free State. To get to the 2nd round though, the Blue Jays beat Topeka High in the 1st round. The Blue Jays boys’ basketball team finished off the year with a record of 8-11. The Girls however were not able to make it past the first round, losing to Free State as well. They finished their season with a 6-8 record.

Boys and Girls wrestling also just ended their season as state competition came to an close. Junction City sent eight wrestlers to state this year, junior Judah Peterson, junior Brooke Swango, freshman Kayden Blake, senior Cj Neuman, senior Isaiah Zinkan, sophomore Ezekiel Witt, freshman Griffin Bohanan, and freshman Laila Lesher. The Blue Jays had three total places with two 4th place finishes and one 5th place finish. The wrestlers sure finished off strong and the future is looking quite bright on the mats.

Bowling season also was a success this year. Many of the underclassman bowlers had great seasons with a good amount of 1st place finishes. To highlight one would be sophomore Logan Lindsley for the boy’s team. The upperclassmen had a few stars of their own, those being juniors Brooke Swango, and Olivia Oliver. Bowling will be something to look forward to next season.

Blue Jays don’t usually swim but the Boys swim team sure showed they could this season, while advancing four swimmers to state. Those being senior Jordan Jenkins, senior Nate Green, freshman Creighton Sanner, and junior Gabe Lamb. The boys ultimately placed 17th in an event and 15th in another. A great lineup of up-and-coming swimmers for the boys looks as though the momentum will carry into the future for years to come.