How To Stay Sane When Moving Somewhere New

Label your boxes to keep things organized.

Breah Turner, Staff Writer

Students who have to move, especially during the school year, can go through a scary and stressful time. Since most people move at least once in their life, and even more in the military, it’s a good idea to have a plan and follow steps to keep your sanity in check when scrambling around to make the big move.

1. Remember that you aren’t alone. Even though you may be moving to an unfamiliar place with people you don’t know, you’re still surrounded by people who you might become friends with and people who find interest in you. Likewise, most people are accepting when others move and are curious and excited when having a new person come into their world. For students in a military community, remember that other students have gone through the same experience.

2. Get a feel for the area. Go on a walk around the neighborhood, drive around the town, or go on a small adventure to scope out the places you find interesting. Getting familiar with the roads and scenery will make it feel a lot more like home and make it easier to travel around. Find out your favorite restaurants or new places to hang out with friends!

3. Introduce yourself. Nothing makes finding new friends easier than bursting out of your bubble and making the first move yourself. The quicker you dig around and find people who interest you, the quicker you can start enjoying the new town, the things it has to offer, and the people in it.

4. Settle into your home. Unpack your boxes, put away your clothes, and hang your pictures on the wall. The longer you wait to put your home together, the more likely it is to stay cluttered and untouched. The simplicity of putting things back in order and personalizing your rooms is enough to make you feel de-stressed, comfortable, and settled in.

5. Don’t isolate yourself in your home. Even though it’s good to get comfortable in your house, there’s no need to hibernate into it. It is scary to be in a new place, but avoiding it will keep you from learning to love it. Make sure to expand your comfort zone and get out into your new world!

Through all the stress moving might cause you, remember to stay positive. Use these tips to help you feel more comfortable in your new school and community.