Marching Band Earns Superior at the High Plains Marching Festival

Madison Escobar

The Blue Jay Marching Band preforms their Back in Black routine during halftime of the Home football game against Manhattan High School on October 5th.

Jake Hermanson, Staff Writer

The Blue Jay Marching Band earned a Superior rating (1) for their show called, “Back in Black” on October 15th at the High Plains Marching Festival hosted by Fort Hays State University in Hays, Kansas. The festival features many other school marching bands and Fort Hays State University’s own.

For many of the band members, primarily the upperclassmen, they were confident in the band’s performance since they had been practicing for three months, and many of them had been to the High Plains Marching Festival in previous years.

“I’ve done [this] for four years so it was normal for me,” Connor Cox, a senior clarinet player, said. 

The band had been preparing for over three months for this festival, practicing after school every Thursday, and during class Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. They performed the show at the five home football games during halftime and during the homecoming rally.

“I think we were prepared musically, but I don’t think we were prepared for the college hashes and we didn’t get to practice beforehand,” said senior Emma Beamer who plays the flute.

Since the band got a Superior rating at the Central States Marching Festival earlier this year the confidence of some players contributed to some of the minor mistakes that were made.

“We got confused about the college hashes, and people were cocky about their ability to play,” said junior Lillian French-Jones whos plays the saxophone.

Nonetheless, little mistakes can be improved upon and the overall performance was very well done.

“We played with good sound and we were in our spots when we were supposed to be,” said junior Eva Gaer who plays the trombone.