Social Studies Teacher Named Horizon Award Nominee

Courtesy of JCHS

Ms. Meek poses with her class after she found out that she was the nominee for the Horizon award.

Jake Hermanson, Staff Writer

Government and World History teacher Katelyn Meek was recently nominated for the Horizon Award, a state-wide award for first-year teachers. Teachers are nominated across Kansas’ four congressional districts, where a total of 4 elementary and 4 secondary teachers will be selected from each region, a total of 32.

Did you win the Horizon award or have you been nominated?

“So I was nominated for USD 475, they do an elementary nominee and a secondary nominee, so I was the secondary nominee. I then had to turn in some paperwork to go to the state, and then the state they’ll choose a total of 32 teachers from around the state of Kansas.”

Is there another next step for a higher award or is it just across the state of Kansas?

“Yep so everybody had to turn in the applications this week and then we will know by February who won.”

What were you nominated for?

“So the horizon award goes to outstanding first-year teachers who have completed a year so a second-year teacher can be nominated for that, and so it’s put forth by the Kansas Department of Education.”

How many years have you been teaching?

” This is my second year, so I’ve only got one full year under my belt.”

How do you feel about winning/being nominated for the Horizon Award?

“It means quite a bit the administrative actually team nominated me for our district or our school and as a first-year teacher, it can be overwhelming for others to say you did a good job. It means quite a bit.”

What does teaching mean to you?

“I grew up with a lot of really really incredible teachers and so for me teaching has always been to have an influence on students lives while helping teach them content that you as the teacher are passionate about by having it impact in ways that go past the classroom walls.”

What has been your biggest accomplishment as a teacher?

“I think the thing that makes me most excited is I like to think I know my students. I try to put that number one, its part of the reason we do good news every day is so I can hear what’s going on in your lives but I also love to go to outside activities, it’s a way that I can talk to my students about what they’re passionate about.”