Students and Staff Adjust to New Schedule

Courtesy of JCHS

JCHS adopted a new bell schedule for the 2018-2019 year.

Tray Minor, Staff Writer

One of the big changes to occur this year is the new schedule. The school schedule is met with mixed opinions.

Advisory now occurs three times a week rather than everyday day. The class meets Wednesday and Thursday between second third periods. On Fridays, advisory occurs at the end of the day and is reserved specifically for class and club activities and school-wide events.

The new schedule maximizes academic time said math teacher Donna Miller

“It’s just going to take some getting used to and it should’ve been changed just to the fact that the old seminar was not used to maximum effect and it was just a lot of wasted time for a lot of students, ” Miller said

Only a select few of students used their time in seminar wisely last year which led to the schedule change. Many students would wander the halls or goof off during the time period.

Some students do not think the new schedule allows enough time to complete all of their work if they miss class.

“I think with the new schedule makes it difficult for the people who have sports and activities because they can’t go after school to get homework because they have practice,” junior Lennidies Alves said.

Advisory is now focused on building relationships and college or career planning. Students will work to build skills that help them in their classes and prepare for life after high school.

“I wish we had something like this when I was in high school,” Miller said.  “We had nothing, we were kind of just left there to figure it out on our own.”