Students Should Participate In Nation-Wide School Walk-Out

March+For+Our+Lives+JCHS+student+leaders+-+Kennedy+Cox%2C+Sidney+Budinas%2C+Laramie+Diestelkamp%2C+Jadie+Chauncey%2C+Leah+Ervin%2C+and+Abby+Khoury+-+say+Activism%21+for+the+camera.+

Courtesy of Ms. Cruz

March For Our Lives JCHS student leaders – Kennedy Cox, Sidney Budinas, Laramie Diestelkamp, Jadie Chauncey, Leah Ervin, and Abby Khoury – say “Activism!” for the camera.

Kennedy Cox, Staff Writer

Students have been organizing a nationwide school walkout called March for Our Lives on March 14 in light of the latest school shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. The proposed walkout has been a trending topic on social media platforms as schools across the nation plan their own demonstrations. This is calling for students in all high schools to simply walk to Al Simpler stadium at 10 a.m on the day of Wednesday, March 14th to make a stance in favor of safer schools and to commemorate the 17 lives that were lost in the Parkland shooting, as well as the one student affected from the JCHS shooting of 1993.

The question for Junction City High School students is if they are willing to participate in this walk out. There are many things to take in consideration with such a controversial subject, mainly the fear that students will be reprimanded or punished for leaving school autonomously with the intent of political protest.

However, with help and approval of the administration, six JCHS seniors –Leah Ervin, Laramie Diestelkamp, Jadie Chauncey, Sidney Budinas, Abby Khoury – as well as myself have organized this voluntary walk out so that each student will have the opportunity to fully participate. Alongside the 18 minute march, students and teachers from JCHS will speak on behalf of the march, as well as releasing balloons to commemorate the lives that were lost.

We have organized this event to raise awareness about school safety and the concerning availability that teenagers and children have to semi-automatic and military weapons. If enough students utilize this movement, JCHS will bring awareness to school safety and shootings. By participating, we hope to see a change in the government’s stance on this issue and see policies change in favor of student safety.  However, this will only happen if more students come together to participate. Two heads are stronger than one, and in this case, 100 hundred heads could be stronger than one if we walk out those doors together on the 14th.

This walkout needs to be taken advantage of the students here at JCHS. It is a chance for students to make a stand and raise their voice in a time where voices like ours are needed. It is obvious that the rates of school shootings are rapidly increasing since the 2000’s, as have the amount of student and staff deaths. These facts are not only troubling but downright terrifying to students, as well as their parents and teachers.

As a student and a writer, I feel extremely honored that I and my fellow leaders get this opportunity to spread the word around that students at JCHS should participate in this walk out. It is evident that our school is not impenetrable to gun violence. I know now that I am obligated to write this article to bring awareness to this pressing issue and to every high school in America that has been affected by gun violence.

For every student who reads this, I encourage you to participate on the 14th to walk those 18 minutes and honor the Parkland students. Take the opportunity to lead yourselves as students and represent JCHS as a school who demands change.