FAHS Secretary Betty Coleman Reflects on Her Past with JCHS

Kennedy Cox, Staff Writer

The reason why the Fine Arts office continues to be a welcoming and positive space every school year is all thanks to the office’s secretary, Mrs. Betty Coleman. When students walk into the small room filled with smiley faces all over the walls and are welcomed with a warm hello from Mrs. Coleman, they are always accompanied by a huge smile.

Although students know her well as the Fine Arts office secretary, they forget to ask Mrs. Coleman about her past and how she came to be who she is now at JCHS.

Mrs. Coleman has lived in Junction City, Kansas her entire life and has several grandchildren which she is very proud of.  She likes to spend her free time with her grandkids and take care of her husband.

Coleman originally worked for Sprint, however the office she resided at relocated to Florida, so she stayed off of work for 3-4 months looking for an open position in Junction City. Coleman really enjoys working with kids, so she applied to the school district.

This was the beginning of her position here at JCHS. Coleman began working in this district through Ware elementary as the school’s librarian.

“From there I knew one of the administrators here and they were going to have an opening for a truancy monitor. So, when that happened, I was the truancy monitors secretary,” says Coleman. “And after that, the administrator’s secretary at the time was being deployed, so I took her job in the Fine Arts office.”

Like expected, when asked about what her favorite part of her job was, Mrs. Coleman casually replied, “Probably interacting with students.”

Mrs. Coleman dedicates a lot of her time to the students at this school and goes out of her way to help each student to the best of her ability. Coleman even set outs treats and snacks on special occasions for teachers and her TAs to enjoy.

Coleman particularly enjoys the students here at JCHS and appreciates every students’ unique personalities. “Everybody has a different story. Everybody is different,” Coleman said.

It important to acknowledge all staff at Junction City High School, so take time to express gratitude to the secretaries here at JCHS.