Two Students Sign to Run Cross Country At The Collegiate Level

Kailey+Koomen+and+Michelle+Sanchez+sporting+their+Southwestern+shirts+after+their+signing.+

Owin Carreras

Kailey Koomen and Michelle Sanchez sporting their Southwestern shirts after their signing.

Owin Carreras, Sports Reporter

Seniors Kailey Koomen and Michelle Sanchez have officially signed to run cross country at the collegiate level.

Koomen and Sanchez have signed to Southwestern College to run cross country for Coach Tim Testa, who is a JCHS alumni and former cross country/ track coach.

“I’ve met the team there and it will be an easier transition into college,” senior Kailey Koomen said. “I know Testa there, he has been my coach since 8th grade so it was definitely easier to commit and be able to run for him.”

Southwestern was very welcoming to both girls. The college atmosphere, Coach Testa, and the cross country team were all deciding factors on signing with Southwestern.

“I am pretty excited to have signed because I will be able to run cross country at the collegiate level and I will be running with a former teammate. When I took my official visit, I felt like it was home and the girls are really welcoming and when meeting Coach Testa for the first time I felt like I had known him for a lot longer” Senior Michelle Sanchez said.

Both girls plan to run track this season for JCHS to help keep them in shape and plan to run over the summer so they are ready for their first collegiate season.