Atypical TV Series Review

Courtesy of Netflix

Atypical is a series that is now available for streaming on Netflix.

Breah Turner, Staff Writer

The TV series “Atypical” is a fictional thought-provoking series that follows around Sam, a teenage boy with autism, and his close friends and family members as he struggles with day-to-day life. “Atypical” views the world through Sam’s perspective, revealing the hard truth of autism and how it affects your social life, thought process, and self-criticism.

The show is centered around Sam and his friends, it also peeks into the lives of each of his family members. Through bullying, adultery, puppy-love, and the stress of school and college acceptance, this series is definitely worth the watch. Especially if you’re one for dramas, love-stories, or heart-touching realistic TV shows, “Atypical” may be the one for you.

In the beginning of the series, Sam explores high school where he finds Paige, his first girlfriend. Instructed by his psychiatrist to find love, Sam dives head-first into a relationship with Paige, only to realize he’s “in love” with Julia, his psychiatrist. After days of sorrow and worry, Sam comes to the realization that he can’t pursue his love with Julia. Sam’s father Doug, sees an opportunity to step in.

Since Sam was little, he had autism. This caused him to attach to his mother, Elsa, leaving his father mentally isolated. Essentially, Doug was pushed aside and unloved, although not intentionally. After years of not having the opportunity to connect with his son, Sam comes to him for advice. Doug is overwhelmed with happiness and of course, agrees to help Sam. Multiple turns of events take place, causing the relationship between Sam and Doug to once again deteriorate and lead to Elsa, Doug’s wife, committing adultery.

As this happens, Sam ends up breaking poor Paige’s heart, Casey, Sam’s sister, struggles to be accepted into a prestigious college which ends up destroying her relationships with friends, and Julia finds out some unexpected news that leaves her and her fiancé unsure of what to do.

Towards the end of this show, Sam begins to break down with emotion that is overwhelming his life. The family begins to uncover lies, while also revealing reality and the hard truth of life making this dramatic, emotional series a must-see.