Coach Nick Perez Looks To Start Season With A Swish

Owin Carreras, Sports Reporter

The Blue Jays Basketball team is back with a new head coach, Coach Nick Perez. Perez was the assistant coach for Coach Schmidt last season.

Coach Perez has high expectations for the season and he believes in his players. All the players have bought into the program and are following the steps to become a great basketball team.

“I feel confident about the offseason, we went to a lot of team camps, a lot of guys got in the weight room and got stronger, had some open gyms, and we had great attendance. I feel like we took a big step in the right direction” said Coach Perez.

Coach Perez is an experienced coach, he has been coaching for the past ten years, both as a head coach and an assistant.

“I have been a head coach for the past eight years. The last two years I have been an assistant. It’s not any different other than you are going take the blame for things. If you win it’s the players but if you lose then it’s on the coach, but that’s what I signed up for and I am excited.” said Coach Perez. Coach Perez was a student coach at Emporia State University and Barton County Community College as a student coach. Perez has coached at Larned High School, Russell High School, Kiowa County- Greensburg, Solomon High School, and Lakin High School where he was an assistant coach under previous Junction City Head Coach Nate Schmitt.

Perez will receive help from his senior leaders, Xavier Cason, Deandre Eaves, Tye Dale, Davantè King, and Leslie Etheridge.

The Blue Jays Basketball team looks to continue rebuilding the program with the help of Coach Perez and his coaching staff. Coach Perez has implemented a whole new defensive scheme and looks to include more shooting from the offense.

“I am just excited about seeing new things on the court, seeing a lot of new people on the court. Last year we had about five or six seniors on the court but this year there will be a lot of underclassmen stepping up,” said Coach Perez