Blue Jay Volleyball Preview

Owin Carreras

Coach Booth coaching the volleyball team.

Owin Carreras, Sports Reporter

With shoes screeching on the hardwood floor and volleyballs whizzing by, the volleyball team has been hustling to prepare for the season opener.

With high intensity and energy being the off-season’s focus, several of the newcomers are trying to adjust.

“The conditioning is more intense in high school than middle school,” freshman Megan Hunt said.

The biggest thing the girls need to work on is communication, at times when the ball is in play the girls would often lack in communication with each other and Coach Booth is constantly preaching communication to the girls.

“One of the things we are going to keep working on is a fast paced offense we are looking into and we have also changed our defensive scheme. Another thing we are working on is lots of communication and high energy,” Booth said.

As the season begins the girls will continue to work on their communication with each other during the ball is in play so they can get into mid-season form early in the season.

“I think we have a good chance to be good enough to make it to Sub-State and hopefully State,”  junior Reece Boland said.

However, they are building team chemistry.

“I think working throughout the summer that we have gained a lot, the nice thing about it is that we had a lot of girls work at summer camps, they have been friends for years, and we had a team end of summer BBQ.” said Coach Booth

Although the team is young this year, they still have big aspirations and expectations for each other as individuals and as a team.

The Lady Jays will take on Highland Park in Fiffe  Gym, Thursday, August 31.