The German Jays: JCHS German Program Flourishes

German+teacher%2C+Frau+Thrasher%2C+shows+an+example+to+her+seminar+on+March+2nd%2C+2017.+

Benjamin Dye

German teacher, Frau Thrasher, shows an example to her seminar on March 2nd, 2017.

Ben Dye, Staff Writer

Fresh, amenable brains fill room 227 every day awaiting a unique perspective on life and culture. The German foreign language program at Junction City High School is providing distinct opportunities to students incomparable to any other in the district. Despite being a small program, German language classes at JCHS have a rich history.

“There was a well-established German program. The lady that did this before me, did it for 16 years. I took it over and tried not to crash it,” Frau Thrasher, the German language instructor at Junction City High School, said.

Throughout the last 5 years, Thrasher has continued to progress the German program, incorporating trips into the mix for a more involved experience.

“We’re starting to get into a groove with trips. The plan is to offer a trip every two years. The first one would be Waldsee, at the Concordia language villages in Minnesota, and then two years later a Europe trip. That’s the plan,” Thrasher said.

She is convinced that teenagers have an extremely isolated mindset, and that teaching them about a new language helps open up their minds.

“I believe that people change their perspectives to a broader view when they know another language, and about the culture of the language,” Thrasher explains.

Learning about German culture has definitely changed the perspectives of some of her students, especially Chase Bennett and Brianna Ault, the presidents of the German Club at JCHS.

“It was Freshman year, and there were a few people that said ‘You would do well in some sort of leadership role’. I didn’t want to do it at all because of sports and all that, because I know I wouldn’t be there, so co-presidency has really worked out in my opinion,” Bennett said.

German club introduces many unique opportunities that would otherwise not be available to students.

“Up until last year we were the only foreign language that went on trips, and we’re the only ones who do it regularly. We get to take the DSD test, which will give you a scholarship to college in Germany,” Ault said.

Many of Thrasher’s students plan on continuing to take German throughout college.

“If I choose to go to college, I’m actually choosing to minor in German,” Ault explained.

These students, along with the German club are spreading the word of the German program every day, attempting to reveal its full potential. Thrasher shows great ambition for the program and expects big improvements in the future.

“I want to represent part of our global community, in the school, in Junction City. Being more visible is something we are working on. Being just part of the school culture, not just being this little club somewhere, but really open up and be part of the community,” Thrasher said.