Town Hall Meeting Discusses New School

Blue Jay Media Livestream

Anastazia Cortez, Staff Reporter

The JCHS Way Forward Steering Committee held a Town Hall Meeting on Tuesday, January 17th to discuss the options for building a new high school.

This was a very important topic to people in the community. Many people had shown up to make comments and ask questions.

“I felt we had great attendance by the community of Junction City. It’s obvious the topic is of large interest for our community,” JCHS Principal Ms. Sharp said.

Many issues were brought up about the school that the students and community may not have been aware of. One issue includes the remaining asbestos-a grayish mineral, that is used to make fireproof materials, and can cause serious lung disease if inhaled. While the asbestos is contained and currently do not present a danger, several people were concerned.

Additionally, the fire alarms do not meet the ADA-American Disabilities Act- requirements. They do not have the flashing lights on them for our special needs and deaf students. Also, the building is difficult to navigate for people with disabilities. It is important to meet ADA standards because if not, then those students would be put at risk.

The high school has many structural issues that need to be repaired or replaced. The building needs to update heating and air conditioning, to repair the roof to prevent additional leaks, and update the plumbing.

The different options for the school include renovating the existing building, building a new school on the current site, and building a new school on a new site.

“The steering committee has done a great job of looking at the issues and looking at how they will affect the community, how it will affect the school district and they’re very knowledgeable about what the options are, and I think they’ll make a great recommendation to the board of education when they’re before them,” superintendent Dr. Witt said.

The cost that would go into a new school on a new site would be approximately $105 million. It will include all of the necessities needed in the new school. One concern for a new building would the cost of busing

Right now is the best time to build a new school due to the State’s commitment to new bond initiatives. This is a “first come, first serve” type of issue, because the state will match 48% of any bond that is passed.

If a bond issue passes, the Mill Levy, or property tax rate, would not raise taxes with this new build, because, the state would match the 48% of the new bond issues for USD 475. This funding,  combined with future Heavy Impact Aid, would cover the cost of a new high school without raising taxes.

Many people of the community, especially older graduates, are concerned about JCHS now because it isn’t very clean for the students, and most agreed to the new school on a new site.

“I think the best option that we should choose or look at choosing is the new school on a new site because not only would that give us enough room to grow but it would also give us enough room to build what we need now,” sophomore Corbin Sanner said. Sanner serves as a student member of the JCHS Way Forward  Steering Committee.

The JCHS Way Forward Steering Committee will present an additional Town Hall meeting January 28 at 10:00 AM in Settles Auditorium. Tours of JCHS will begin at 9:00 and will illustrate the current challenges of the building.