Brought in the New Year with Healthier Water

Kalyn Love, Staff Writer

As you may have seen there has been an update to the school. The students came back from winter break and saw that we were given new updated water fountains. These water fountains make filling water bottles more convenient and healthy. The new water fountain has a vertical spout that you place your water bottle under to make water come out. Refilling units feature sanitary, no-touch sensor activation that make it so you don’t have to put your mouth close to or on the water spout.

Making the process of getting water hands-free,you eliminate the risks of contamination from a variety of oral infections including mononucleosis (mono) and herpes.

“The new water fountains are more sanitary than the other ones were,” Junior Na’Asia Grant said, “I like these much better.”

These new water fountains are long overdue. Right now there are currently plans in the works to install more of these water fountains throughout the rest of the school. The addition of the new water fountains will also encourage more students to bring water bottles daily. Which is sure to decrease the amount of hall passes used by students to get water. The new fountains allow for a faster fill up also so more students can use the filling station and wont be late to class.

“Not having to constantly give a hall pass to a thirsty student for water purposes would be nice.” FACS teacher Mrs. Simmons said.

There is a feature on them that will tell you how many water bottles are being saved. As of January 11, 2016 on one water station there have been over 350 water bottle fill up, meaning over 350 water bottles were saved. “I haven’t used the new water filling station but they seem very cool.” Junior Karrah Bailey said.

The new water bottle filling stations are an opportunity to make student lives a little bit healthier because people should drink at least 8 ounces of water daily as well as save to world one water bottle at a time.