Disappearance of School’s Tallgrass Prairie

Courtney McQuay, Staff Writer

The tallgrass prairie outside the school building is regularly cut down to prevent foreign species, but rumors have spread that the tallgrass prairie will not be returning. Science classes, especially field biology students are outraged that they no longer have a field and must now leave the school to find an area to study. The tallgrass prairie also housed many species of plants and insects that were used to study from not just field biology students, but from other science classes also.

The tallgrass prairie was one of the most natural habitats in the area to study insect and plant species. It was also close enough to the school building to not have to leave the school and require field trips.

“They told me they cut it down because they thought it was attracting rodents” says Mrs. Glazar, a science teacher in room 242. “But I was not asked about this. It wasn’t with my consent.”

However, none of the field biology students have witnessed any rodents in the prairie, just an abundance of insects and different species of plants. The prairie has been here for years and the staff have been just fine with it until now.

Now the field biology students need to leave the school building in order to study.

“We will still study in the field, but we will need to walk to the nearby pond. It’s going to be a pain, but there isn’t another place that we can have our field.” Says Mrs. Glazar.

It was said that another reason the tallgrass prairie was removed because they did not like where it was located. Regardless of their decision to remove the prairie, the science classes will continue to find fields to study. It will make it more difficult, but not impossible.