JCHS Offering A New English Course

Walter Wadford, Staff Writer

At JCHS we try to offer a variety of different classes that students can take.  Some teachers have to take on teaching two or three different classes at a time. One of the teachers who has taken on an extra teaching job is Mrs.Jobe. In addition to teaching English 3 and AP Lang, she now teaches Philosophy of Art & Literature.

“This class focuses on the intersection of art, literature, the world, and in culture. We look at the philosophical questions that surround art so questions such as “What is art?” and “Is art for everyone?,” Jobe said. “So in general we look at art and the questions that surround it and how it can teach us stuff about our world.”

While she didn’t originally plan on teaching Philosophy of Art and Literature, she has enjoyed this new opportunity.  

“I was truthfully asked to teach this class but I do have a lot of creative tendencies and I enjoy aesthetics which is part of what the focus in this class is.” she said. “So looking at what is appealing to the eye and why it is that way so because of my creative nature and my interest in art it makes this class appealing to me.”

One of the perks of teaching Philosophy of Art and Literature is Mrs. Jobes freedom to teach the content of her choice and content that she finds interesting.

“The best part of this class for me is what I get to learn when I prepare to teach my kids so i’ve done a lot of research on different types of art and how art is used in the world to come up with idea’s of what they should be doing.” said Jobe  “So for me it has been a lot of fun exploring the world of art and since I am an english teacher I don’t always get to look at that kind of stuff so I think that is the best part of this class.”