Rash of Falls on School Stairs Causes Concern

Courtney McQuay, Staff Writer

Its been only weeks since the first fall, but now another person has fallen down the stairs here at the CAC. They were the same set of stairs this time—on the second floor outside room 249. It was a student, but at this time she has not been identified. Some are wondering about the safety of the stairs and if there is something that can be done to prevent people from falling down them.

The first case was from Mrs. Glazar, a science teacher in room 242. The day of the fall she had gone to an SET academy meeting in the auditorium during seminar. After the meeting on the way back to her class, she had been walking down the stairs, tripped, and fell. An ambulance had been rushed to the school to help her. After seminar ended, security guards blocked the hallway around her while waiting for the ambulance.

It was later learned that she had broken her knee and was set in a cast. She had been absent for recuperation for that weekend and the Monday after. She returned that Tuesday—a white day.

Now that another person has fallen, people are wondering why so many have tripped down these specific set of stairs. Some believe that it is too close to a classroom, or in a too busy area.

This time the fall occurred during second hour passing period on October 21st. The security guards blocked off the hallways again, causing a bit of irritation for some students who needed to pass through.

The hallway here is one of the busiest in the school and it’s important that it stays a safe place to walk through, or else more students and teachers may continue to fall down the stairs here. With so many falls in just a short amount of time, something must be done to reduce the amount of people who fall down the stairs.