Seminar Should Be Optional

Walter Wadford, Staff Writer

In the beginning of the JCHS school year there was an uproar about seminar. There have been multiple complaints from students as well as from the staff about how seminar isn’t being used for its purpose.

Many of the students of JCHS feel as if seminar should be optional. I, as a member of the student body personally agree with this opinion. Being a student athlete, I understand the importance of seminar but I also understand why it should be optional. As a member of the football team seminar can be really useful because I have practice after school so I am limited on time to complete my homework. For the kids who are not in any extracurricular activities they often do not need the time in seminar provided to us. Also there are students who work whether it is to help their families financially or to support themselves.

Also students complain that they are not provided with enough time to complete the assignments and projects that they are assigned. Most teachers do not release their students until 2:55 or 3:00 because of announcements. With that being said by the time announcements are over and students get their passes signed it is already 3:00. There have also been complaints about the required time you have to be back to your seminar classroom. We are expected to be back in our seminar classroom at 3:30 and for most students that is not enough time to complete their classwork or homework. I think that most students will agree with me when I say that when you have nothing to work on seminar goes by fast and when you are working diligently it goes by even faster.

I believe that seminar should be optional or the first class that you go to in the morning. Some students do not complete their homework so when they get to that teacher’s classroom they ask if they can complete the assignment during seminar and turn it in. If seminar was the first class that students went to in the morning I feel as if it will make them actually want to complete their work because they know that they did not do a homework assignment from the night before. Instead of asking if they can complete during seminar at the end of the day they would be able to complete it in the morning. If we changed seminar to our first hour class it would benefit students and be less of a hassle to teacher’s.