NEW TEACHER PROFILE: Miss Stanley

Ms. Stanley, a recent K-State graduate is a first year teacher at JCHS.

Jayden Davis, Staff Writer

We are now two weeks into the school year and Junction City High School has not only seen a high number of new students but an abundance of new teachers! One of those new teachers, is Kansas State alumni, Miss Stanley. She teaches English here at JCHS and accepted my request to interview her for The Blue Jay Online.

Jayden Davis: Miss Stanley, what made you want to teach?
Ms. Stanley: “I want to teach because in high school I had great teachers that really inspired me and I loved high school, so I wanted to come back and meet some great students, inspire them to go to college and to be successful in life!”
Jayden Davis: You have been here for about a week, week and a half, how has your first week here, been as an English teacher?
Ms. Stanley: “My first week as an English teacher, has been really great. I’ve been focusing a lot on getting to know my students and trying to figure out how they “tick” and what works for me in the classroom. It’s been a lot of fun and I have no complaints!”
Jayden Davis: Why English?
Ms. Stanley: “I love reading and writing and I would love for people to feel the same passion for it as I do.”
Jayden Davis: If you weren’t teaching English, what subject would you say you would be teaching?
Ms. Stanley: “If I weren’t teaching English I would probably do the closest thing to English which I think would be Social Studies.”
Jayden Davis: Why do you love teaching? Also, what are some of the challenges that come with teaching?
Ms. Stanley: “I love teaching because of the students and coworkers that I’ve been working with so far and it’s great to collaborate and co-teach with other teachers. Some challenges, especially since it’s my first year, some of the content I’ve never taught before is new to me as well as it is to my students and also just trying to figure out what goes on around the school and not just my classroom.”
Jayden Davis: Do you have any expectations for your first year teaching? Goals?
Ms. Stanley: “Goals for my first year teaching, I guess would be that I want to solidify what I’m doing here and that there’s a purpose behind everything I teach and that my students are aware of that. I would also like to work ahead to stay on top of things since I am still figuring everything out.”
Jayden Davis: What are your thoughts on being the new girls’ basketball assistant coach?
Ms. Stanley: “I am really excited to coach and to see that side of my students, because I know that students in some of my classes play, and also just getting to know my students on a different level. I loved playing basketball in high school and I had great coaches and I want to play a part in my students’ lives outside of the classroom.”
Jayden Davis: Is this your first time coaching?
Ms. Stanley: “Yes this is my first time coaching as well.”
Jayden Davis: What do you do in your free time? Hobbies?
Ms. Stanley: “In my free time, I like to read, fun books not just school books, I like to spend time with my friends, go out to eat and watch movies.”

Ms. Stanley is a fun, easygoing teacher that students can easily connect with. She teaches English in Room #265 and you will see her on the sidelines this winter helping coach the girls’ basketball team this season. She looks forward to her first year here at Junction City High School as an English teacher and the many years to come.