AP Government at Moot Court

Rachel Soh, Student Reporter

This law case in Moot court was not a real court case, but was based off of one. A Moot court is an argument with a panel of judges, and people are appointed to present their argument and solutions on the case. This court case was in the City of Lewiston, Minnesota and argued the city rights on public and private properties based on their financial stance. This case was original known as the Kelo Case versus New London, Connecticut. In the real case they approved the city of the development of renewing the city and the economy.

Before going to present before the judges, Katharine Kellogg and Christina Brunton shared their emotions about this event.

“Nervous. I like this experience, it’s just nerve wrecking,” said Katharine Kellogg, Senior

“Nervous, but I’m read to go for it. Yea I like this experience.” added Christina Brunton, Senior

After the nerve wrecking experience of answering questions and proposing their ideas, the Junction City High School seemed confident in their performance and believed they had a high chance of winning.

“I think it went well. It was intimidating.” said Christina Brunton

“Very intense. They hound you with questions. I think I did very well.” said Katharine Kellogg

During the Law Day Luncheon, hosted by the Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, they revealed who won the moot court. Unfortunately, Junction City lost against Chapman, but it was a very close run.

Although they lost, this experience helped Kellogg and Brunton for their potential future profession regarding law. They were able to get the full court experience beforehand and know the ins and outs of preparing for a court case.

“I want to be in Forensics. I would have to present. I need to speak in front of people.” said Kellogg

“I’m going to major in business, but I’m thinking about Law school after I graduate.” said Brunton

Mr. Webster was a little saddened by the loss, but still believed in was a good experience for Kellogg and Brunton as well as the AP Government Students who showed up to support.

“The 2015 Moot court competition held in Fort Riley competition was a good day by all. It was a good competition, I think the students had a great time not only observing all of the processes, but more importantly the guest speaker and the dean for the Washburn Law School I think provided some valuable insight not only the potential college but also potential employment for their future profession that they’re going to. I think he provided a good perspective on the judicial review overall.” Mr. Webster, Junction City High School, AP Government Teacher.

1st of May is law day, but on Fort Riley it is known as Law week. The theme for Law Day 2015 “Magna Carta: Symbol of Freedom Under Law” celebrates the 800th anniversary