Prom: Teacher’s Edition

Rachel Soh, Blue Jay Reporter

On May 2nd, the students of Junction City High School are going to attend Prom at the Fort Riley Convention Center. In this hectic prom season, the Newspaper decided to interview the teachers at Junction City High School and their experience with Prom.

Mr. Engelman

“I went to a tiny high school of juniors and seniors who go to prom. So I went to three proms: my junior year, senior year, and my wife’s senior year (then girlfriend).” Mr. Engelman went to all three proms with this girlfriend, who is now his wife. The high school sweethearts were dating since 2003.

His first junior year prom had a 20 ft tall Eiffel Tower made out of cardboard and their theme was ‘A Night in Paris’.

“They made a city scape but then I later realized that made no sense since Paris is flat.”

In one of the proms, Mr. Engelman and now wife were eating at a restaurant.

“We got our meal paid for once. Somebody we never met or knew paid for our meal.”

Going to prom was interesting for Mr. Engelman. He said, “My senior year my friend had a ‘56 truck that ran but had no brakes. We pulled them to prom because he really wanted to go to prom with his truck.”

Mrs. Torres-Wigton

She wet to a small high school in Kentucky and they had an opportunity to have their prom on a steamboat on the Ohio river called the Bell of Louisville. During both of her junior and senior prom someone wore the same dress as her, and since they had their prom on a steamboat, they would eventually bump into each other.

“So, I just took pictures with her” Said Mrs. Torres-Wigton.

Belle_of_Louisville_2
The Belle of Louisville Steamboat

Every year, prom was held the same day as the State Track Meet and so the athletes would always come a little late and would have to run onto the steamboat before it would leave the harbor, Said Torres-Wigton

Having the prom on the steamboat was a big deal, “we were fancier than the other schools. We would eat in Louisville, and Louisville was a big town.”

“There weren’t a lot of decoration, because it was a steamboat and you can’t decorate much.”

With her prom experience, she said “I just remember enjoying it so much”

Mrs. Kelly

“My first prom was sophomore year and I went with my ex-boyfriend. I knew nobody because he went to different school. I just remember being terrified. They had theirs at a hotel up north.”

Her senior year prom was better than her sophomore year.

“My senior year, my boyfriend -now husband- scout master’s wife made us dinner and we had prom dinner at their house.”

They had someone be a waiter and serve us food.

“There were three couples”

The parents took pictures at the house before the group went to prom for her school Shawnee Mission East.

Their prom was held at a very fancy place, “Our prom was in Union Station at Kansas City. Gorgeous.”

union station
Union Station in Kansas City

Regarding her prom experience, Mrs. Kelly said, “I don’t remember the dance itself but I’m sure it was fun”

After prom, they went to go out to eat.

“We had breakfast at a really old dinner in West Port. We were there in our prom dresses stuffing our faces with eggs and bacon.”

Mrs. Goheen

Mrs. Goheen didn’t go to prom because she was an exchange student senior year of her high school and they didn’t have prom, she had to miss out. This year will be her first prom experience and she will be going with Mr. Goheen.

Mr. Goheen asked Mrs. Goheen this year to go to prom. When asked about the promposal, Mrs. Goheen said “I think we were washing the dishes” She laughs “Not very romantic”

Everyone going to prom this weekend should have the best memories to tell later like these teachers did.

Photos are courtesy to:

(Remember when…? Photo)

(Union Station Photo)