Christina Brunton places in FBLA State Competition

Rachel Soh, Student Reporter

Future Business Leaders of America is a club in Junction City High School sponsored by Mr. Holborn. This club incorporates students testing their business skills and knowledge in events held in conferences and seminars. The club is a national non-profit business related organization run by students and that helps build business leadership skills.

Recently on March, 24th, 2015, the club went to Topeka Expo Center with their ideas to certain events on the State Convention. Students came to compete against business related events. A lot of these events are tests and speeches related to business.

Christina Bruton, Senior, a first year FBLA member competed at the District and placed 10th in Business Procedures at State. There were fifty to a hundred participants in each event making placing in each competition very difficult.

Brunton was introduced to FBLA because she found her career interests in business, and this club helped her increase her interest in business.

“I was taking computer classes prior. I was interested in coding, but I wasn’t interested in games until I found that intersection of the sector of business of computers and administrative. I like being in charge and making money. It’s a wide of area where I can do a multitude of different things.” Said Brunton

Since Brunton was a first year FBLA member, she learned about the events through Mr. Holborn.“He mainly just told us the basics about the events. He gave us an overview of all of the things that we could do. It was mainly self driven.”

Since this was Brunton’s first time competing she was not expecting to place in State with the hundreds of participants. This new experience has exposed her to the different parts of business and shaped her interests.“I learned about about intricacies of business and how it operates. I learned about the different parts of business such as marketing, advertisements, and law.”

With her experience in FBLA, she was able to decide what she was going to pursue in college. Brunton is mostly interested in the administrative field and is going to major in information systems in Emporia State University in the Fall.