10 things NOT to do on Valentine’s Day

Courtney McQuay, Staff Writer

IMG_0153_edited

It’s that time of year again, when men buy expensive gifts and make the day romantic for their woman.  Although some men know how to properly plan a good Valentine’s Day, many overdo it or don’t make it romantic enough.  Valentine’s Day must be carefully planned as it isn’t just about the girl, it’s about expressing your love for each other.  Furthermore, many couples split when the image of Valentine’s Day isn’t what they’ve had pictured in their head (K. Kurtz, 2015).  Here’s some guidelines to make your Valentine’s Day go right:

1. Don’t expect Valentine’s Day to be perfect.

Everyone is expecting a lot, and it’s very unlikely to go as planned.  Valentine’s Day is very stressful, and jealousy arises from everybody and just causes more stress.  Everyone’s getting flowers and other gifts from their lover, and those who don’t get anything become resentful.  Also, remember that not everyone can afford an elaborate Valentine’s Day.  Try to lower your expectations or you might end up disappointed.

1. Don’t book a reservation for a restaurant that requires you to eat with your hands.

You’ve dressed up nicely for Valentine’s Day, and any food that is messy should be avoided until some other time.

1. Do not go on a first date.

First dates are stressful enough to begin with.  Don’t waste a holiday hoping that he will be “the one” and end up breaking up later.  Reschedule your date for the next day, it can wait, especially if you’ve been waiting specifically for Valentine’s Day to have your first date. (Caroline, 2012).

1. Don’t spend the day complaining.

Negativity will only make your day worse, and it will likely ruin the days of those around you.  (Caroline, 2012).

1. Absolutely DO NOT call your ex!!

You broke up with them for a reason, don’t attempt to get back with them.  Chances are you will sound desperate and gloomy. (Caroline, 2012).

1. Don’t make this a day where you make up for the days that you didn’t love your partner.

You shouldn’t need to use Valentine’s Day as an excuse to do something special for them.  You should love them all year round, not just on Valentine’s Day.

1. Don’t fall asleep!

Chances are, your partner will be furious that you couldn’t manage to stay awake.  The least you could do is show that you love them enough to stay awake on Valentine’s Day.  (J. Blynn, 2015)

1. Do not dump him/her.

Never EVER break up with your partner on Valentine’s Day.  It can wait till after Valentine’s Day.  If it can’t, then break up before Valentine’s Day.

1. DO NOT FORGET ABOUT VALENTINE’S DAY!!!

This is probably the most common way to ruin Valentine’s Day.  If you’re having trouble remembering, then make yourself a reminder.  Don’t forget to buy your partner something, whether it’s a rose or just writing a card.  The least you could do is show that you appreciate your partner enough to get them something.

If you do forget:

• Cook your date a meal or hire a personal chef
  • Make a gift
  • Make a subscription for monthly flowers
  • Book a trip together for the future
  • Go see a movie together
  • Go on a last minute shopping spree together
  1. Spend the day ONLY with your date. Don’t bring along another person(s).

Your partner should be your number 1 priority for the day.  Don’t bring them with you to a sports night with friends, and definitely do not bring another person with you for your date.  This will never turn out good, and if the person you ask to tag along is of opposite gender to your partner, they might think your cheating on them.

Works Cited:

Blynn, Jamie.  “8 Things NOT To Do For Your Girlfriend On Valentine’s Day”.  Her Campus. N.p. 5 Feb 2015, Web, 12 Feb 2015.

Caroline.  “Seven Things Not To Do on Valentine’s Day.”  Seven Things Not To Do on Valentine’s Day. N.p. 11 Feb 2012.  Web, 12 Feb 2015.

Himelfarb, Marvin.  “5 Things Not to Do On Valentine’s Day”.  Fox News, FOX News Network.  14 Feb 2011.  Web, 12 Feb 2015.

Crowe, Portia.Here’s What To Do If You Forgot To Make a Valentine’s Day Dinner Reservation.” Business Insider, Inc., 09 Feb 2015.  Web, 12 Feb 2015.

Davies, Taylor.  “13 Last Minute Valentine’s Gift Ideas – Scoperks Money Saving Blog”.  Scoperks Money Saving Blog. N.p. 09 Feb 2015.  Web, 12 Feb 2015.

Knapp, Adam.  “Top Things Not to Do for Valentine’s Day in Oklahoma City – Bad Date Ideas for Him and Her in the OKC Metro Area.”  Top Things to Do For Valentine’s Day in Oklahoma City.  N.p. and Web, 12 Feb 2015.