Anime Club Gives Back To The Community Through Recycling

Students+in+the+Anime+Club+pick+up+recycling+every+Monday.+

Juan Santillan

Students in the Anime Club pick up recycling every Monday.

Madison Moore, Staff Writer

Inside the door of almost every classroom you’ll find a green bin full of teaching materials and past assignments. Those are by no means trash cans, they’re recycling bins for paper.

Ms. Melius, the teacher in charge of the Anime Club, wanted to do something better for her community and help her Anime students gain Service Learning hours. Last year the Anime Club and Ms. Melius organized a recycling program at Junction City High School which has continued this year.

Every Monday during Seminar Ms. Melius and a group of her Anime students go around to every classroom and office to pick up all the wasted paper for recycling.

“Doing what you can for the betterment of the community and the environment is important,” said Ms. Melius.

Originally the recycling duties just started out as a way for students in the Anime Club to gain their Service Learning Hours, but it’s grown to much more than that. The recycling program gives students a sense of involvement and responsibility in their community.

“I feel as though I’m positively improving the environment. It really is a good feeling,” said Jocelyn Amidon, a club member who helps with the recycling.

Once the paper is collected, the students and Ms. Melius take it outside underneath the bridge that connects to the Deever building so it can be picked up by Carnahan Curbside where it is taken to Manhattan to be recycled.

If a teacher would like to request a recycling bin they can contact Ms. Melius in room 231.