The Five Netflix Shows You Should Be Watching.

More stories from Amber McCarthy

High school students need some way of relating their everyday problems outside of school. Watching these five Netflix shows allows students to connect and also learn from the events that happen in these shows.

Shameless: In Shameless you meet the Gallagher family. This family is not your ordinary American family, the dads a drunk and the mom split years ago. Oldest child Fiona Gallagher tried to hold the family together.

Throughout this series love and support from each other is expressed deeply. Students might also find they need love and support in their life as the school year goes on. Falling back on family is a good way to receive that love and support.

The Fosters– The foster family is filled with five kids, one biological and four adopted kids. This family of 7 faces many daily struggles and even though they might not share the same DNA at the end of the day the amount of love they have for each other is ever lasting.

High school students need to realize that DNA doesn’t matter. It’s what someone has to offer that actually matters. Letting someone help you is not a bad thing, at one point in time everyone is going to need help.

The Secret life of the American Teenager– Fifteen year old Amy Juergens thinks her life is over when she finds out she is pregnant after a one night stand at band camp. Even though Amy knows she’s about to be responsible for another human being she doesn’t let that affect her. Amy learned from her mistake and made the best of the situation.

Students need to realize that mistakes happen, life goes on. Don’t let your mistake slow you down, instead learn from them, grow from them. High school is full of mistakes, it’s what you make of them that really matters.

Atypical – A teenager with autism decided to get a girlfriend, wanting more independence puts his whole family on a path for self-discovery.

In high school dating is okay, don’t be afraid to explore and talk to different people. Also finding who you are is okay, DO NOT be afraid to be yourself or to even try new things to see who you are. That’s exactly what high school is for.

Life Unexpected– After years of being in foster care teenager Lux tries tracking down her actual parents to get emancipated. When things go wrong she lands in their joint custody instead.

Teenagers now a days need to realize they don’t know what everyone has been through. Don’t judge someone before you actually know them. Also teenagers need to realize not everything is always going to go their way. Learning to solve problems and be flexible will help you out a lot in high school.